DAYS CREEK, Ore. — Firefighters rushed to douse the flames that were attacking Milo Academy Church after a live-candle rendition of “This Little Light of Mine” got out of hand at a dedication ceremony for the coming school year.
“It was supposed to be an inspiring throwback to childhood where we lit candles symbolizing our hopes and dreams for the new year,” said Milo Academy Chaplain Chet Burner. “We never thought things would escalate like this.”
The fire started as excited returning students began to wave the lit candles too enthusiastically during the song. One candle set fire to a pew near the front of the building causing pandemonium and a wild stampede for the church fire exits.
No students or staff were hurt but more candles were dropped as the crowd escaped the building and by the time firefighters arrived, the church was damaged beyond repair.
“We trust that Milo Academy staff will be more vigilant in their observance of fire codes in the future,” said area Fire Chief Gunner Baker. “With all the trees around here, this could have been far worse.”
This is a case of “Holy Smoke”!! Woe is me!!
This little inferno of mine, I’m gonna let it shine…
They shouldnt have let Chuck Burner’s kids have candles…
We are definitely on fire here at Milo! Thanks for noticing barelyadventist.com. Keep up the good work.
but My guess is the only fire at Milo is in the hearts of the staff and students. I hear the church looks great and nothing burned in there.
Oh man! I was there when the barn burned in 1975. That was a very hot fire!
Well, everyone knows that “it only takes a spark to get a fire going…”
Guess they should have actually “hid it under a bushel”, huh?
I don’t get it, why are you eating my time? I don’t believe this article is true. What’s the point?
That is supposed to say wasting my time.
You guys can trust me, the church is still here.